1. This 13 year old kid from Russia has been tattooed all over by his father, who, unsurprisingly, is a tattoo artist – a crazy, irresponsible tattoo artist. Does he look cool? Sure. Is it morally acceptable? Absolutely not. Could this kid be the world's next Ash Stymest? Quite possibly.
2. I had my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday. It was a very strange experience. One minute the anaesthetist was asking me about life as a fashion blogger, the next minute the nurse was telling me Katherine was there to take me home. General anaesthetic sure does knock you out cold. In related news, my face has now swollen up about three times larger than normal. These photos don't really do it justice.
3. In art world news, tattooist-turned-fine-artist Scott Campbell recently lit an entire sold out show's worth of works on fire outside the Mexico City gallery in which it was being shown because he didn't like how the curator had, "started to get a little too pushy," and "kept talking about how they had made [Campbell] money." In this Interview Magazine exclusive, Campbell honestly and fairly discusses his motivation behind the art fire. It's a great read, and he comes across as a particularly cool dude. I met him when he came down to NZ for an exhibition at Plaything and he was awesome.
4. Codeine makes you really fricken drowsy.
5. Some of my best friends are PR agents but I still think PR is the devil's work. I've had experiences where PR friends use the fact that we're friends to persuade me not to write something or to hold off on writing something because it will – in their words – 'damage the work they're trying to do for their client'. In other words, I've been played. It generally results in a feeling of extreme bitterness and regret at not having just written what I wanted to write in the first place. The moral of that story is, there are no friends in business. Kiwi expat blogger Cactus Kate writes a fascinating story about PR agents attempting to coerce her into researching and breaking stories to make them more easily accessible to the mainstream media. She says she'll do so, but only for lots of money. Go her.
6. The new J Crew menswear collection is pretty darn good looking. I particularly like the watermelon sweater/white pants combo in look six and the patchwork pants in look seven.
Photo: Huffington Post
7. Remember how Marissa Cooper from The OC used to be the skinniest girl on television and people used to freak out about how she was anorexic and a bad role model for adolescent females? Have you watched Gossip Girl recently? Serena Van der Woodsen, Blair Waldorf and Jenny Humphrey make Marissa Cooper look like a roundy by comparison. Amazing how much our concept of super-thin has changed.
8. Jezebel calls this video highlights package Kanye West's most ridiculous on-air moments. While a few of the clips are indeed ridiculous, I disagree. It's too easy to hate on Kanye West. To quote the man himself, "You gotta love it though, somebody still speak from his soul."
9. I interviewed a particularly successful businessman for a magazine profile a couple of weeks ago down in Wellington. One of the pearls of wisdom I gleaned was the following: "If a business relies on one person then you don't have a business." My response: Thank God I have Katherine.
10. I genuinely believe the best tee shirt available right now is the AS Colour Men's Organic Tee in natural. Get on it.
I LIKE YOU!