Photo: Sonny Vandevelde
1. I overstayed in Sydney to see Kanye West at the premiere for his film Runaway, where he said, "A five year old kid still sees truth before the world has taught them how to think. You're running in the beginning until people tell you, 'You can't can't can't can't can't can't,' and by the end you slow down and have to fall in line... I just wanna be like a five year old kid." I really liked that line.
2. Getting a Canadian male model by the name of Oliver Welton to say the words, "Hard out New Zealand!" on film. Few things have made me laugh so hard, so many times.
3. I got 11,000 extra hits in one day from a Dutch newspaper (nu.nl) that was directing traffic to a post I wrote about non-censored photos of 16 year old New Zealand's Next Top Model contestant Michaela Steenkamp appearing on TV3's website. (This is not necessarily one of the top things that happened in 2010, but it sure tops the list for most bemusing things that happened in 2010.)
4. I rocked the Sneans.
5. I discovered Pitchfork Reviews Reviews, my new favourite blog.
6. Katherine Lowe and I designed the Shawty Wanna Thug sweater, which sold out twice online and once in real life at Area 51. Holla! For the record (because so many people have asked), I just liked the idea of presenting a gangsta phrase in a cute way.
7. I was lucky enough to attend three of the best international fashion shows of 2010: the Zegna 100 year anniversary show, my first officially official Chanel Haute Couture show and Thom Browne's astronaut-themed outing at Paris Menswear.
8. I had my first major feature article published by New Zealand's Sunday magazine. Entitled Dirty Work, the story focussed on the sleazy side of male modelling, and included experiences related to me by Kiwi male models Bruce Raubenheimer, Michael Whittaker and Zach Vickers, along with several others who wished to remain anonymous. Special thanks to all the guys who spoke to me, I couldn't have done it without them.
9. DJ Darkness Brothers was founded – shout out to my Darkness Brother from another mother Anouk Rondel.
10. Katherine got even more awesome.
(The photo above is, in my opinion, the top backstage picture taken in 2010.)
Happy New Year!
I LIKE YOU!