Photos: Hedi Slimane
1. We're used to seeing Hedi Slimane shoot young, skinny, edgy and typically half-naked boys for his photo diary, but his latest subject can only be described as quite the opposite of all those things – it's 67 year old Robert De Niro. The captivating series of portraits currently sits at the top of Slimane's homepage, and serves to remind us of two very important things: 1. Botox bad, aging naturally good; and 2. Turtlenecks rule.
2. Everything you hear about London is true: it's cold, grey, damp and dark by 4:00pm. But good Lord the young people look cool here.
3. They say there are three types of personalities required to create a successful business: the worker, the manager and the forward-thinking entrepreneur. Even if you're not self-employed, the same rules apply to your career. Most of us are workers, but we'd all benefit a great deal from spending a few minutes every day setting goals and figuring out how to achieve them. It sounds simple, but how many of us have the discipline to follow through? That's where the manager comes in. (I've been reading Tony Robbins.)
4. While in Los Angeles, I watched the 1967 film Guess Who's Coming To Dinner with Sidney Poitier and Katharine Hepburn. The storyline revolves around a young white girl who brings a successful African American doctor home and tells her shocked parents that they're going to be married. The doctor's parents are just as surprised. It's a brilliant film and you will be amazed by how far we've come, and how much we take for granted. No doubt 40 years ago the thought of a white boy travelling with a Chinese girl would have been simply scandalous.
5. Also while in Los Angeles, I noticed that Ugg Boots are still going strong. When will the madness end?
6. When life imitates blogs: I visited Rodeo Drive for the first time this morning and marvelled at the gargantuan vinyl-encased Tom Ford storefront featuring the designer dipping Abbey Lee Kershaw. Patty Huntington posted pics of said store-front on Frockwriter at roughly the same time.
6. William from the Air New Zealand safety videos was on my flight to London today!
Photo: Katherine Lowe
I LIKE YOU!