Gangz of New York. Pic: Olivia Fleming
1. Hanging out with Kiwis here in New York. This past week we've had David Dallas, Peter Wadams (aka P Money), Andy Murnane (Dawn Raid's CEO) and Simon Oscroft (guitarist for Midnight Youth) in town, plus old faithfuls Georgia Fowler, Olivia Fleming, Tom Gould and Jack Tame. It's the expat equivalent of catching up with your cousins after a long gap – the familiarity's there, all the old jokes are the same and you never have to explain yourself; they all just get it. GO THE KIWIS!
2. Thanks to Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, text messaging and Youtube, we have the shortest attention spans of all time. But that doesn't mean long-form journalism is dead: This article about Kanye West's trials, tribulations, meteoric rise, subsequent fall and recent Watch the Throne tour is a hefty but brilliant piece of writing. See if you can read the whole thing.
3. Arguments on Tumblr. Read this perfectly acceptable question first, then this response to my answer, then this response to my second answer. People amaze me sometimes, but I do enjoy a lively disagreement every once in a while.
4. Mrs Meyer's Clean Day candles – so cheap, so so good.
5. Richard Haines and his insane talent, both as an illustrator and a story teller. I'm having coffee with him this week to try and convince him to let me share some of his jaw dropping experiences from a couple of decades in the business. Wish me luck.
6. Comme Play sweaters – I pulled the trigger. And thanks to J Crew's no questions asked refund policy, I ordered the small and the medium and I'll just return the wrong size.
7. Maison Kitsune, opening in New York in three days. I'm going in for a preview with Noah Emrich of NOVH fame on Wednesday. Can't fricken wait.
8. Cuffed pants – I used to be all about the roll, but lately I've been hitting the tailors every time I buy a new pair and getting them tapered and shortened with a 1 3/4" to 2" cuff. It's a way cleaner finish.
9. This Drake line from "You know I want it all and then some / Shout out to Asian girls, let the lights dim some."
10. Ethiopian restaurants. OMG JK ROFLCOPTER... LOLCATS!
I LIKE YOU!