Wednesday, June 6, 2012
1. I recently started reading Bob Dylan's autobiography Chronicles and the thing that separated him from the masses is the fact that he spent every waking moment tirelessly pursuing his dream. He performed for free, for tips, for empty rooms, for drunken buffoons, and for anybody who'd listen before finally catching a break in the form of a management contract. As far as I can tell, the moral of that story is to have extreme tunnel vision. Focus on one thing and perfect it before moving onto anything else. Being a jack of all trades is overrated. Master one.
2. Also, this one from Will Smith: "Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft... I've never really viewed myself as particularly talented. Where I excel is ridiculous, sickening work ethic. While the other guy is sleeping, I'm working. While the other guy is eating, I'm working."
3. And this one, paraphrased from Eleanor Roosevelt: Do something that terrifies you every day. If you're scared of failing, you know you're on the right track.
4. As you might be able to tell, I'm in need of a little inspiration.
5. I'm guilty of making extremely strong, life changing statements and then doing a complete 180 in a short space of time. Case in point: About two months ago, I started telling my friends that I never wanted to write about fashion ever again. I was sick of it, my interest had waned and I was done. FOREVER. But then I started writing these weekly Anatomy of a Garment posts for Park & Bond (and shopping nonstop at J Crew – see below), and guess what? The love kick starts again. Expect a bit more menswear related material on the blog to come.
6. Call of the week, by my mate Jenna Sauers: "Why does every Westerner think they're going to find themselves in India? If I'd lost myself, I'd probably look somewhere I'd already been."
7. And with that in mind, now would be a good time to announce that I'm headed to India in November. You know, just to find myself.
8. If I could remember this quote every time I got angry, I would be a much happier person: "Do not dwell on the unpleasant things in life." Positivity begets positivity, negativity begets negativity, so be positive! Okay?
9. Because it goes with the theme of this post, and because I can't stop saying YOLO, The Motto is this week's featured song. (You Only Live Once that's the motto ***** YOLO!)
10. J Crew will be the death of me. I can't walk past a store without walking in, and I can't walk in without buying something. This weekend – a sweater, a short sleeve shirt and a tee. Yesterday, a navy blue chambray button down. Tomorrow, a seersucker suit. Somebody put a freeze on my account – I gotsta pay rent! #whitegirlproblems
I LIKE YOU!