1. Katherine is Awesome turned four last week, which reminds me that Isaac Likes is about to turn five. Jaysus. Happy Blog Birthday (HBB), KIA, it's hard out here for a blogger, and yours is one of the best on the internet. I don't think that either of us would be in the position we're in today if it hadn't been for the long, hard hours of work we've put into each others' vanity projects, and I hope we still continue to inspire, encourage and irritate the bejeezus out of each other in times to come. Here's to four more years! Oh dear Lord what if we're still doing this in four more years.
2. Amazing scientific trick I learned on my shoot with Kelly Framel from The Glamourai last Friday: Seamstresses often prick their fingers while working on handmade clothing, and when that handmade clothing comes in the form of couture dresses, they can't very easily throw it in the washing machine to get rid of the blood. So what do they do? Oh, y'know, spit on the stain, but it only works if it's the spit of the bleeder. Our DNA gets rid of our DNA – if it's your blood, your spit will erase the stain.
3. Something else I learned on that shoot: When jewellery companies lend out their pricey wares to stylists and celebrities (I'm talking three million dollar diamond necklaces by Cartier, et al), they're hand delivered by a gun-toting security guard who sits on set the entire day making sure nobody attempts a robbery. I talked to a bunch of them on Friday and turns out they're mainly ex cops, and the most common cause for panic is a rogue stylist absent mindedly wearing a piece for safekeeping between shots then forgetting all about it. You'll be pleased to know that I kept my hands to myself.
4. The quickest way to get sucked into a black hole of self loathing on a Sunday afternoon: Sit in your bedroom watching crazy street fight videos on Youtube. My entire day yesterday was a write-off. Why do I do this to myself??
5. Current blog obsession: Why You Mad?! by Austin Wong. He's the insanely fresh Asian dude who swags around Pitti Uomo, Milan, Paris and New York in head-to-toe Thom Browne, while also holding down an unrelated office job in carbon credit finance. His Ask Me series is some of the best menswear knowledge available anywhere, and his personal style is unparalleled. Follow him immediately.
6. Current gripe: Why the hell did Uniqlo stop making their Made in Japan selvedge denim!?!? And why the hell didn't I buy a single pair when I had the chance!?!? Darkness brothers.
7. Current must-have: This pair of non-Chuck Taylor, non-Clarks Desert Boot, non-Mark McNairy shoes. Quelle horreur. They're by Australian label Feit and they are beauuuuuuutiful.
8. Best gift I've received in an extremely long time: this Richard Haines X Prada tee shirt, commemorating the book of illustrations he did with the world's coolest brand. If having your own tee shirt with Prada isn't an example of extreme power moves I don't know what is.
9. In a rare occurrence of pseudo-hipsterism, I didn't jump on the A$AP Rocky band wagon when he came out because I didn't like his first song, and the hype bugged me. But I was wrong; and his track Problems is the jam. My bad.
10. At 4:00am on Sunday morning at 1Oak here in New York, I touched Jay Z. That is all.
I LIKE YOU!