Tuesday, December 10, 2013

#2436 How to Nail Corporate Casual at the Office with a Cardigan


I was sitting in a bar on Saturday evening when I met a young accountant named Dave*, and we got talking about what he wears to work. He was telling me that it's a business casual environment, which in my opinion is the hardest style for the average guy to adhere to while looking cool. What does business casual even mean? Boring dress shirts tucked into badly cut dress pants, with loafers? Who knows. One thing is certain — it's damn near impossible to look good in the aforementioned. There's something about that tucked-in shirt with dress pants that gives me the heeby jeebies, and since nobody else in the office wears a sportcoat or tie, most guys aren't going to want to be that guy who does it first. I suggested Dave try a cardigan, but he said that they intimidate him. I'm currently in the market for a cardigan right now, so I've been scouring the internet to find one that I love, and this one above by Wallace & Barnes, is the best I've seen yet. If only I'd gotten Dave's contact details I would have sent it to him. (Dave, if you're reading this, hi!) I reckon if he threw it on over an oxford cloth button-down, with slim-fit charcoal/some kind of tweedy-looking pants, and dark brown or black leather lace-ups, he'd automatically be elevated to best-dressed-man-in-the-office status. Why do corporates inflict business casual on their poor male employees? The mind boggles. More photos below.


Oxford cloth button down by Kamakura.


Ludlow slim suit pants in English wool by J Crew.


Black leather longwing brogues by Meermin.

*p.s. Dave if that wasn't your actual name, I apologise — it was loud in there.

p.p.s. Don't forget to leave the top and bottom cardigan buttons unbuttoned!

I LIKE YOU!

7 comments:

anabels said...

Business casual is just dreadful on everyone! It is hard to pull off for women too. Plus from a purely selfish point of view it spoils the view, men in suits usually look good, some guys can do casual and look totally sharp. Business casual makes about 98% of men look like dweebs!!! (Guys like my annoying friend who always looks good, making up the remaining 2%. And everyone wants to kill them for it becasue we know they make the rest of us look even worse!)

isaaclikes said...

Couldn't agree more!

Kirien Sangha said...

The cardigan sounds like a great addition, I think it would work great with the slim fitting shirts from Lands End, too?

isaaclikes said...

Yessir!

"Dave" said...

"Dave" here (actually James, but David is my middle name so close enough)!


I just ended up in another conversation about cardigans today, which reminded me of you and your blog, which brought me to this post! I'll definitely have to look into the cardigan you've recommended.


It was great meeting you and your friends this past weekend. Thanks for the wardrobe advice!

"Dave" said...

"Dave" here (actually James, but David is my middle name so close enough)!

I just ended up in another conversation about cardigans today, which reminded me of you and your blog, which brought me to this post! I'll definitely have to look into the cardigan you've recommended.

It was great meeting you and your friends this past weekend. Thanks for the wardrobe advice!

isaaclikes said...

James!! That was my second choice. My apologies I got the name wrong but hopefully run into you again soon in the EV!